Karachi: Geo News reported that the terrorist attack on the Karachi Police Headquarters was due to a security lapse.

Banned outfit Tehek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) on Friday carried out a terrorist attack on the Karachi Police Office (KPO) – a building located on the main road of the city. According to Geo News, there is no security gate to enter the Sadar police line where the families of the policemen live. Sources said the terrorists allegedly entered the KPO by climbing over the rear wall and the city police chief’s office was not manned at the time of the attack on three security posts.

“Barbed wire, on the rear wall of the KPO, was also cut,” they said, adding there are no CCTV cameras installed to monitor the building from the Shahrae Faisal side.

Police investigators have collected the evidence. The car in which the terrorists came is present at the Saddar police station, reported Geo News. In the nerve-racking operation that lasted for nearly four hours, three terrorists were killed and four people, including two policemen and a Sindh Rangers sub-inspector, were also killed in action.

Eighteen other people, including police and Rangers personnel, were also injured in the terror attack, which occurred after a deadly suicide attack at a Peshawar Civil Lines mosque that left 84 dead, reported Geo News. The law enforcement agencies identified three terrorists involved in the KPO attack. Two of the terrorists belonged to North Waziristan while one of them belonged to Lakki Marwat.

Following the attack, the IGP ordered extraordinary security measures at the police headquarters across Sindh. He also ordered expanding the intelligence network. Officials said the terrorists reached the premises of the KPO situated near the FTC Building on Sharea Faisal in a white Corolla car around 7 pm.

They approached the KPO from the Saddar Police Station. When police officials on duty asked the occupants to identify themselves, they opened fire and lobbed a grenade at the main gate of the KPO, forcing the policemen to take cover and retaliate, reported Geo News.

Soon afterwards, commandos sprang into action to counter the terrorists, who had now entrenched themselves in the five-storeyed police installation. Talking to The News, DIG Mukdas Haider said that the terrorists were also carrying bags full of food items and were armed with lethal weapons including AK-47, which shows that they had a long-term plan but never got the chance.

DIG South Irfan Baloch said that the terrorists had attacked the complex from two to three sides. He said that the police also rescued 40-50 police officers and staff who were trapped.

Security has been beefed up at all police stations and other sensitive areas and buildings in Karachi following the incident, officials said. Strict vigil has been ordered in the police stations of the city.

By Archana

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *